Monday, September 15, 2008

If it was your Birthday...



Let's just pretend. Say it's your birthday and I was able to kidnap you for a generous part of the day. I'd whisk you away, just you. And you wouldn't worry about the kids because say our amazing husbands insisted on watching them for the day.

The first thing we would do, just after we buckled our seat belts would be to squeal a little bit in delight for "happy-birthday-mommy-time" and I then lets say you loved Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks, that they were your absolute favorite. So we'd find the first one we came to and order not a tall, but a venti because, after all it's your birthday. And we'd be talking a million miles a minute trying to make the most of our time, trying to fit as much in as possible. Next stop Kohls. Where we just browsed and browsed and you tried things on and new black blouse that looked just gorgeous on you. And I didn't even try and talk you into a different color, because I said, it's your birthday and you shall have exactly what you want with out any argument from me. Then I took you to this great big fabric store...one that carried all your favorite designers as we oohhhed and ahhhhed over the bolts of beautiful textures and colors. And of course we couldn't walk out of their empty handed. And since it was your birthday you splurged and I pledged to pay for part. Then of course, because this always happens I found something I loved but refused to buy, so you insist on buying it for me. We argue. I say, "but it's not my birthday." You win. You always win in these matters. And while we are pretending lets just say $ isn't an issue. So we load up our carts. Two of them. By this time we are getting hungry. So we wheel our cart-full of spoils over to be cut and then they tell us that any amount cut yardage today only is 30% off. Who would have thought that it could pay to have a birthday on Monday September 15. We leave with great big smiles on our face, off to your favorite lunch spot. At Red Robin we chat over our good fortune at the fabric while, we sip our strawberry lemonade and spilt a hamburger store and talk over our future ideas and dreams and get super inspired and excited. We seem to have that effect on each other.
After our lovely luncheon we just have to hit up Old Navy. Where you pull out your $100.00 gift card, that your sweet husband had thought to buy you in advance. And then of course end up spending over half of it on new clothes for the kids. Because, well you are just funny like that. You are such a giver. It's a very deep and beautiful trait that you possess. Last but not least we stop at Target to just browse up and down the lovely aisles. We laugh and point and " oh look how cute is that..." and " that so looks like you..." and " wouldn't that be darling in the such and such..." or " can't you just see this on so and so..."


And you sigh because it has been so much fun. I agree. Too much fun. Our feet ache. I suggest we head home so I can bake you a most chocolaty chocolate cake while you dole out the treats you picked up for the kids. And while you aren't looking I slip a bouquet of dahlias with slices of lemons tucked in the bottom of the clear square glass vase, on the table with a tag that reads...


" Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. " — Mark Twain, Try not to mind too terribly that it's your birthday which means you are another year older, which in turn means you are now twenty-eight plus two. ;) You are beautiful today and everyday, from the inside out and that will not change no matter how old you get. My birthday wish for you is that you find your self embracing and loving life more than ever today. I love you. Happy Birthday dearie. Happy, happy birthday! -Chelle



All imagining aside. Today is your birthday. And I am just pretending what it would look like if I were able to give you the perfect day. On a more realistic note I have half of your birthday package assembled so obviously it's going to be late of. That and I bet you will be making your own happy birthday cake for yourself today, to share with your little family...so they can help to celebrate their beloved Momma & Wife. And I bet you won't even mind.


11 comments:

Aminta said...

OH! Really! OHHH!
Thank you Chelle! I adore you!
Seriously crying right now......

Jacy said...

I just know that Aminta realizes how lucky she is to have someone like you as a sister in law..someone loving and caring and so giving and just all around the bestest of best sil's :)
You girls are so special...so so special
Love you!

Dawna said...

Chelle, this was one seriously beautiful and inspired post! You have got to be the sweetest person I know, and I am so glad that Aminta is blessed to have such a relationship with you. Blessings to you both today, my friends!

Anonymous said...

What a delightful post...makes me miss my best friend SO so much...last time I saw her I had a Pumpkin Spice Latte - almost a year ago now!

SuzyQ said...

that was a fun post to read! i loved the perspective!

Aminta said...

Now composed.
You are such a precious person, what a gift I have in you. Thank you for the WONDERFUL thoughts and ideas of my birthday with you. I am reveling in them as I write, imagining that they happened. And I truly feel blessed as though it really did. In this case darling Chelle, it is the thought that counts!
I LOVE you and hope beyond all hope that I can raise my girl to have as many of her Auntie Chelle's traits as possible!
HUGS!!!!!! (kiss that girlie for me tooooo!!!!)
Min

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Well happy birthday Aminta! I hope she does have such a happy one and that one day you wll be able to share such a one as that!!

Anonymous said...

Aminta, Even if your town doesn't have all that fun stuff Chelle imagined, even if you had to make your own cake, even if you didn't squeal like I know you and Chelle can.....I hope somehow you realize that many love you and in part walked with you two on this special make believe day....I know I had fun! Happy Birthday

Jacy said...

I just had to squeeze this tiny tid bit in ...pumpkin spice latte is so scrumptious the first time I had it was on my birthday lol my mom and I were driving into town on an empty stomache...mind you I was pregnant at the time and into anything "lattesh" lol so she treated me with a pumpkin spice...so good...
Loves to you girls

Leslie said...

this was the sweetest ever post, and Im telling you girlies we really could be quite a threesome all of those things were right right right up my alley....

and most definetly wouldn't mind wishing her a VERY VERY happy birthday...

What lucky sister in laws you are! So lucky indeed!

kt said...

awww this sounds beautiful. what a kind soul YOU are! and a beautiful sister in law :)