Thursday, July 10, 2008

{ so golden }

I should not be doing this right now. After fourty five minutes, the little voice from underneath the nursery door has finally fallen silent.That means I should straight away head to the kitchen sink and finish washing up the pile if neglected dishes or work on the 3rd and final quilt that is partially laid out on the living room floor. It means I could fix myself a sandwich and change into anything other than jammy bottoms, put on some makeup and fix my hair, or I could vacuum the floor, clean out the refrigerator, or scrub the toilets. All things that need to be done.


But no, instead I am going to sit down and peek in on each one of you dear ladies, to see how your day is going and to tell you how much I love the glimpses I get into your beautiful lives. The friendship. The connection. The feeling of not being the only one. The inspiration. The encouragement.


Instead of doing what needs to be done, I am going to tell you how much I am loving these golden summer days. How every day Annabelle's skin turns a little more brown and her hair a gets a little bit lighter. How cute she looks dressed in orange with her blue twinkle eyes and her small body and it's healthy summer glow. About how I haul the sewing machine onto the back porch, so I can watch her on her swing or play in the backyard. About how much I love the the view of my backyard roses and to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and to listen in on her little pretendings. How she smells just like a little girl in the summer should smell, sticky and dirty and sweaty. How no matter how many otter pops I have allowed her to have, she still asks for more. That she goes around all day saying, " Daddy's my friend. " And tells me, " I love you too Mommy."





How it seems that she has more fun rolling down the hill in our back yard than doing almost anyting else in the world. How that almost everytime she's outside sooner or later, she takes every last stitch of clothing off of her, diaper and all, and runs out into our big back yard, just because she knows that I will chase her down and at least put her panties back on her.
And she loves the thrill of the chase.
Whatever she's doing the big question is always " want to do it with me?"
Of course I do. That is, usually I do. Then there are the times she screams for me to come push her or do this or that, those being the one great big fat exception.

I am going to tell you about our weeknight evenings and how they go by too quickly, with walks to the library and talks of what the future might hold, the occasional ice cream cone, twirling and more twirling, teaching her how to throw a frisbee, or water the flowers with the hose.


For the most part she goes to bed willingly these nights and tells us " and when my wake up...." and because she is just plain tuckered out. " So the dishes wait. The quilt remains untouched on the living room floor. My hair is a mess and I am terrified someone will come to the door and find me still in my jammy pants. But in the meantime there is laughter and sunshine and togetherness and plenty of time to by all means, stop and smell the roses.




16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The perfect sentiments of a lovely summer. The time flies by so quickly, sometimes I just want to grab on and make it stand still. But instead we must learn to enjoy each moment and cherish the wonderful memories they brings. The dishes will always be there when we are done:)
Sending you hugs and more wonderful summer days with the girlikins!

Amanda said...

definitely golden summer days! and i agree with andrea...i'd like to make them stand still! on another note...how did you move your old blogs from windows live over to blogger and archive them...i would SO love to do that!

Dawna said...

LOVE this post (as usual)! Your daughter is so precious, and I'm glad you're leaving the dishes and toilets and enjoying the moment. Take it from the mom of a recently-turned-nine year old... Time Flies!!
Your posts always make me smile, but this one made me laugh. I had to read it twice to determine if you were saying that you wanted to run around the yard nakey with your daughter. (LOL)I guess when you're young at heart.... Thanks for the smiles and beautiful thoughts, and for making me laugh at my own silliness (my husband says I take things way to literally). Enjoy your sunshine!
:-)

Terry and Patty said...

A wise friend of mine 30 years ago said that the dust will always be around but those little ones won't. Enjoy them and make memories for them. God Bless

Leslie said...

seriously though what a picture you painted how awesome to sit on your back porch and sew and watch your little one run her wild little oats.. such a free spirit your little belle. Can you believe she is old enough to do just that? So so awesome....
Although mines skin never gets any more golden (shes got her mommy's fairness forsure) the summer is still washed over her, in the sticky peanut butter and jelly hands and dirty bare piggies...
it is sweet huh?

Leslie said...

btw, dying to see pictures of the quilts your working on...your stuff is always darling.

Lisa said...

smiling after this one, Chelle! your outlook inspires me - I need to learn to let the dishes and dust wait, because life won't!
baby steps...

Oh, and don't worry there are lots of days when the afternoon rolls around and I STILL haven't gotten dressed - such is life, huh!

have a lovely said...

precious precious precious! She is becoming such the little lady and full of such adorable sayings as always! Wish I could come over to play! :)

SuzyQ said...

mmmm... yes! that's summer for you! don't you just love how little ones smell like sunscreen and sand? it's fantastic...

we're having a day rather like that: i didn't get to shower until almost noon, i still don't have any makeup on, the laundry is half-finished... and i just don't care! it's been a great morning.

Donna said...

Summer is so much fun. You have such a lovely back yard. With the most amazing roses.
Don't forget to stop and smell those beautiful roses.

I laughed about the otter pops because I remember that Annabelle loved those otter pops, so did my kids!

Dawna said...

Chelle,

PS- Did I mention that one of the reasons that I love your blog so much is because you are a true poet?! You make the mundane sound beautiful and remind me to slow down and appreciate life.
PPS- As punishment for laughing, it was less than 10 minutes after I left that last comment that Emma figured out how to take off her diaper for the first time and was running around the house naked as a jaybird. Serves me right!!
PPPS- Absolutely LOVE the last photo!!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh what a gorgeous blog!! I love it! I love your pure delight in life. :)

SuzyQ said...

heh! it IS good to have more than one chelle. because, of course, they're the awesomest! (oddly enough, my 'here' chelle, roommates with yet another chelle. we have to call them by number :P. but they're both (ra)chelle, not (mi)chelle.)

Lisa said...

and this is just one of the many things i love about you two ~ you truly take the time to love the moments you're in right now. she's growing up so fast!

Connie said...

Oh, that last photo is just priceless! Wish I could be there to romp with her in the backyard.
~Nanna

Fairlightday said...

Being a mommy is the bestest. Summer is the bestest. And being a mommy during summer is the bestest yet.
Your posts always make me smile Chelle dear. Love the pictures, as always. Hugs to you dear!